Old 07-04-2011, 06:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Kindeyes

Welcome to SR......I'm glad you found us and I hope you find the answers you are looking for....although I'll warn you now.....they may not be the answers you are hoping to hear.

Addiction is a progressive disease. It does not get better. It gets worse. It can be "arrested" but that is entirely up to the addict. Nothing we can do or say will make them stop until or unless they want to. It's just the way the disease works.

Many times an addict will continue to use because we (the codependent) will enable them to do so without realizing that that is what we are doing! In fact, we're doing what we THINK will help them stop but, in reality, we are only making it easier for them to continue using. It is a very baffling disease and it sucks everyone around the addict into the dance. That is why it is called a family disease.

If you truly want to understand addiction, stick around. There are so many people here on SR who have been dealing with the disease in their lives for a very long time and there is an amazing amount of collective wisdom on this forum.

Personally, I found help in the rooms of Naranon and Alanon. Some have found it in CoDA or other support groups. And most of us would recommend a book "CoDependent No More" by Melody Beatty......just so that you can see if you fit the mold for classically codependent.

You are not alone.

gentle hugs
ke