View Single Post
Old 07-03-2011, 08:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
yogaisland

Tendencies, I was wrestling with the "how much do I tell" question today too. It was with my aunt who I am going to visit in another state next week. She asked what foods and alcoholic beverages we would like her to stock. I hemmed and hawed before responding, wavering on wanting to disclose fully, but I didn't feel comfortable with it, so I made a response that I was not drinking because I had started to get headaches even on the first drink and my doctor suggested I abstain from alcohol. Partially true - I did get dull headaches sometimes while drinking, but it was actually my marriage counselor that suggested I stop drinking and not because of the headaches! But I feel like this is a very personal issue, one that is difficult to disclose to people. I think whatever we feel comfortable with saying, is the right thing to say. I just think of it as any other medical issue... say a person had irritable bowel syndrome and had to visit the bathroom a lot at work... what is wrong with them laughing and saying, "Gee, I always drink too much water!" if they have to explain themselves? Sure, people shouldn't judge them or think badly of them for having something they can't control, but let's face it - people do judge all the time. And having a drinking problem or being alcoholic is just as uncontrollable, so we have the right to say what we feel comfortable saying.

And that woman sounds horrible - good thing it ended when it did. Reminds me of a few women I know (and dislike.)