Thread: alcoholic???
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2011, 09:28 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Spawn

Red face

Originally Posted by TexasNative View Post
It's just on the long list of unfortunate things about being an alcoholic. I find it easier in casual circumstances (a cousin I haven't seen in years) to just say no thanks to a beer instead of going "no way, I'm a raging alcoholic and I'll drink 20 more" but I have told those who know me I'm an alcoholic. Even that is frustrating because they don't understand it. Oh, you're an alcoholic? Well just go to a 30 day program in the hills and get fixed! Oh well hit a 12 step and it's over! Oh gee just pop Antabuse everyday!! Non alcoholics can frustrate me with ther opinions on it, as though it's a rash that just needs some ointment. Just yesterday I was telling my neighbor how good it feels to be months sober and she was like, wow I bet thats nice to know thats over with...grrr...
Not understanding I think comes from a lack of education in dealing with addiction and I've thought that these folk are blessed on some level....we get it only because we lived it. That's why meetings help so we can connect with people that do understand.