Old 06-23-2011, 10:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Missy7

HarleyBluz--I too live a life surrounded by people drinking--including my main drinking buddy, my husband. So we face similar challenges, but I think it can be done. I started in April and have been on about a six day cycle, but at least that has helped with the detox. If you really want this, you can avoid that cycle better than I have, but I do feel like I'm on my way right now.

I doubt you'll actually go to the mountains. Can you figure out when drinking with your family will be most tempting and go shopping then? Probably that would be right at first and for the first hour or so. After that they'll just look stupid and you'll be okay. Try that.

Also, as another person who cannot actually "avoid" alcohol, I think that it's important to participate with the family. Drink coffee and take care of people. Eventually maybe they'll appreciate that and see that being sober is a good thing.

Just some ideas. Be we're in the same boat. Feel free to pm me if you want to try to build some joint challenges for ourselves. Like--card night with the family....