Old 08-28-2002, 04:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Hi Galnva

My mom was a single parent too...my dad died when I was 6. She worked, when it wasn't fashionable for woment to work, and she kept house (my brothers and I chipped in too), abd she didn't have a lot of time for one on one with us after work.

But she gave us lots of love, and just having her there was reassuring. Something she did, that I will always remember is take ordinary things and make them special. Instead of a normal dinner at the table, she would make sandwiches and nibblies like pickles and celery and carrot sticks, and we would have a picnic in the back yard. It was convenient, didn't take any extra time, and it was fun.

Or, if she was walking to the store, she would take us all along and we would chat and pick wildflowers on the way back. Again, no extra time, but fun.

And she would have one night a week, where there was no TV, and we would play cards with her, or bake wonderful cookies that we could decorate with ugly faces or make pretty.

My guess is that this helped her take her mind off her lonliness without my father, and it took a negative situation and made it positive.

Keeping busy, doing fun things can distract you form your obsessional thinking and give your life new meaning.

Try it.