View Single Post
Old 06-15-2011, 07:36 AM
  # 314 (permalink)  
Chino

I have to share a story my son shared with me.

Yesterday he was in a cellular store (not sure which provider, not that it matters lol) and a teenage girl left her money on the counter. The store was packed with customers and someone promptly stole her money. My son was pretty sure who did it because he watched a guy run out of the store, to a car, then come back in. He told the manager and they said they'd review the tapes.

But here's the part I love: the girl was with her grandmother. After the girl became distraught and kept saying "someone stole my money", her g-ma asked "honey, did you lose your money?" My son thought the g-ma was in denial and out there, but I disagreed. I said she gracefully put the responsibility right back where it belonged, and allowed the g-daughter to work through the incident without shaming or blame for others actions.

Either way, in my eyes, it was a $65 lesson and packed full of tough love. It reminded me how many times I inappropriately and publicly scolded my teenage daughter. Yep, hindsight is like having x-ray vision sometimes!