Old 06-12-2011, 05:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Dee74
Administrator

Dee, thank you so much for affirming that alcohol is a substitute for pot. I sort of realised it before but wasn't willing to accept myself that it really was, but I guess it is. For me, it's just a problem of realising that it's not the desire of pot that made me scontinue it, but the desire to simply not be sober. I rationalized that it was the pot addiction that kept me smoking, but in fact it was the addiction to 'not wanting to be sober in life'. I need to find something that I truly enjoy when being sober, so I won't take these easy escapes and cave myself in on useless pursuits. Life is amazing, it's short yes, but it can be filled with meaningful activities and surrounded by loving people. I want to leave this superficial approach to life and really get to grips with what it means to be happy and human. Thanks for giving me this realisation Dee. I hope we can discuss this further.
Well it was a substitute for me, and it does sound like it might be for you too.

Looking back now I realise I wasn't really prepared to live sober when I gave up pot - I just switched to something else that gave me that 'escape'.

I thought my problem was pot, then booze, but the problem was actually me and my inability to face life without an 'escape pod'.

Eventually I found I could actually cope with life 'straight' and cope pretty darn well...but I needed to confront my fear about that first, and lose my crutches

D