View Single Post
Old 06-12-2011, 02:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
alchy
Best After Date:June 12, 2011

Advice needed on quitting.

Hi all. First post and first day deciding not to drink. Hoping for a little advice and help/support.
I've read through the thread on others detox eperiences and it scares the crap out of me. I've been heavily(for me anyway) drinking for about 4-5 years. 10 beers a night on weeknights, sometimes more and often a 26 of hard stuff on the weekend with beer. I drink every day. I've recently decided I don't like this anymore and have decided to try at least do something about it today. Right now is about the time I have my first drink of the day and I drink till I go to bed. It's already odd to not have my beer in my hand. I usually chug my first beer or two to get that quick buzz.

Anyway, to my questions. I haven't been to my doctor and some the adamant recomendations to do that first has me scared. I did tell my dr of my drinking at one point and he said to try drink a bit less each day. But from what I read, that is not the way to go. I had planned not to drink at all today and see how things go but I don't want to be at work tomorrow and be throwing up and getting shakes etc or worse. Would it be advisable to drink some tonight to avoid any really bad detox tomorrow? I just feel like it's a cop out and I must admit, the thought of having a few beers is a good one. A good thought, but maybe not a good idea. My wife is behind me and also thinks maybe it might be safer after I told her what I've been reading about just quitting cold on your own. Should I have maybe 4 beer a night for a few days then stop? I am also coming off a pretty bad hang over from the past two days of drinking. We have picked up a "stress reliever' multi that seems to have all of the good stuff recomended for quitting. It has Vit, b complex, c, zinc, calcium, folate, magnezium. And also a seperate valerian to hopefully help me sleep if I have an issue with that. Most of the stories that were the worst are from heavier and longer time drinkers so I'm not sure how bad it will be for me or if I should be ok. Don't get me wrong, I expect it to be hard, but will I flip out at work and need an ambulance or something? I do have high blood pressure already but not high enough for medications.

Thanks for any help and advice. Sorry, this was supposed to be short. lol