Notices

Advice needed on quitting.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Best After Date:June 12, 2011

Advice needed on quitting.

Hi all. First post and first day deciding not to drink. Hoping for a little advice and help/support.
I've read through the thread on others detox eperiences and it scares the crap out of me. I've been heavily(for me anyway) drinking for about 4-5 years. 10 beers a night on weeknights, sometimes more and often a 26 of hard stuff on the weekend with beer. I drink every day. I've recently decided I don't like this anymore and have decided to try at least do something about it today. Right now is about the time I have my first drink of the day and I drink till I go to bed. It's already odd to not have my beer in my hand. I usually chug my first beer or two to get that quick buzz.

Anyway, to my questions. I haven't been to my doctor and some the adamant recomendations to do that first has me scared. I did tell my dr of my drinking at one point and he said to try drink a bit less each day. But from what I read, that is not the way to go. I had planned not to drink at all today and see how things go but I don't want to be at work tomorrow and be throwing up and getting shakes etc or worse. Would it be advisable to drink some tonight to avoid any really bad detox tomorrow? I just feel like it's a cop out and I must admit, the thought of having a few beers is a good one. A good thought, but maybe not a good idea. My wife is behind me and also thinks maybe it might be safer after I told her what I've been reading about just quitting cold on your own. Should I have maybe 4 beer a night for a few days then stop? I am also coming off a pretty bad hang over from the past two days of drinking. We have picked up a "stress reliever' multi that seems to have all of the good stuff recomended for quitting. It has Vit, b complex, c, zinc, calcium, folate, magnezium. And also a seperate valerian to hopefully help me sleep if I have an issue with that. Most of the stories that were the worst are from heavier and longer time drinkers so I'm not sure how bad it will be for me or if I should be ok. Don't get me wrong, I expect it to be hard, but will I flip out at work and need an ambulance or something? I do have high blood pressure already but not high enough for medications.

Thanks for any help and advice. Sorry, this was supposed to be short. lol
Old 06-12-2011, 02:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

to SR.

It sounds like you are in the right place. It took a recovery program for me to quit drinking. AA is the program that works for me but there are many others out there. Here is a listing of some of them: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html Take care.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
instant

Alchy.
By all means try to cut down and taper off (there is anther recent post on this with lots of good advice). In my experience it will be a time to learn about what you are facing, but will not lead to abstinence.

I do think you should have some medical input. Is there a free detox centre you can ring to see how much at risk you will be / advise etc. There may also be a telephone advisory service that can help on the advice front.

From what I have read in other posts- if you use machinery or drive at work it might be very risky to go cold turkey.

Let us know how you get on- take care
Old 06-12-2011, 02:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Nobody can predict what your detox experience will be like, so it really is best to have some medical advice. People have various experiences with tapering off. Mine was OK, but it seems more people have found it a problem.

If you check with your doctor he or she can take a health history, tell you whether it's safe for you to quit, advise you how to do it, and perhaps give you some short-term medication to help manage any symptoms. If you DO get scary symptoms, you should call for immediate medical help.

For lots of people detoxing is uncomfortable only--but you never know whether you might be one of the ones who has a severe reaction.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

If detox worries you that much you feel you need to drink to mitigate its effects please see a Dr, alchy.

I know stopping is scary and I know seeing a Dr is scary too, but having gone through what I did on my unassisted detox (I'll spare you the details) I really can't recommend strongly enough that you get some professional advice.

It really is the sensible safe option.

Welcome aboard
D
Old 06-12-2011, 03:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Alchy and welcome to SR--congrats on your decision to quit, that's great.

I personally had to talk to a doc who gave me some meds and monitored me to make sure I was safe. It was still was ellacious for the first three days (the usual withdrawal--lots of people have written about the symptoms, and I had them all, but luckily, with treatment, it didn't progress into the dangerous zone and I didn't need to go to a medical detox).

My doctor was entirely supportive and helpful--no judgements, just medical advice, which is what we all need if we're making a decision to change out lives for the positive.

Let us know how it is going, and so glad you're here.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

We arent really supposed to give medical advice on this site. But I'd say go to your doctor or the ER tomorrow morning. Congrats on the decision to quit! You're life will be so much easier!
Old 06-12-2011, 03:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I really don't recommend trying to cut back, having failed at that myself so many times.

But, do talk to your dr and let us know how it goes.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the quick helpful replies folks. So what if I don't drink tonight and still feel managable and managable in the morning, would that indicate that I should be ok? Or will it possibly get significantly worse from there?
Old 06-12-2011, 04:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Welcome to SR Alchy.

Detoxing is a very serious procedure. Don't hesitate to seek emergency medical help if anything goes wrong with your attempt at home detox.

Making the decision to stop drinking alcohol will most likely require you to have a treatment plan. Some people just stop drinking and that's that...end of story. But others like myself do need some plan that will backup the decision to quit drinking with a course of action.

Stay involved here at SR and make it a part of your treatment plan.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If you are concerned about detox talk to a doctor. If you have borderline high blood pressure it's likely to spike up for awhile when you quit. Having a doctor monitor that would be safer.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for all the quick helpful replies folks. So what if I don't drink tonight and still feel managable and managable in the morning, would that indicate that I should be ok? Or will it possibly get significantly worse from there?
Like others have said - none of us are doctors, and none of us here can predict the course of a detox.

It's also against our rules to give medical advice here.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...guideline.html

However much we want to help, we know nothing of your clinical history or your drinking patterns or any of the many other factors an informed professional would need to know to adequately answer that question.

Whatever you decide to do, alchy, don't hesitate to seek medical help if you feel concerned or unwell, ok?

D
Old 06-12-2011, 04:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by alchy View Post
Well if your sticking with your home detox, aside from being unadvised, who knows what could happen. Only a doctor can advise you as to what is what.

I would be inclined to check-in with one of those small emergency clinics and get a doctors opinion. Normally one can see the doctor in a hour or so after checking-in. Then you'll know what to do and expect.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well, its the morning of day 2. Didn't sleep great. Feeling anxious and clumsy. Scared ofwhat is yet to come though and if I deteriorate here at work. From what I've read, some of you didn't have your worst days untill 2 weeks in. Posting from my phone so I can't reply much.

Thanks for your support.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I can tell you that my drinking stats lined up with yours on the beers. Always bought twelve packs and I was lucky if there were three lefty at the end of the night. Weekend's were obviously worse since I could start earlier. I went to a very reputable hospital and they felt I needed to detox at the hospital. I was given meds to come of all the alcohol slowly. Just want to tell you what I was asked to do once telling them my amount of alcohol consumed. Also, i can say it eliminated all withdrawal side effects for me. The only thing I had to deal with was the emotional side of being sober, which is handful in and of itself! Good luck with whatever your decision!
Old 06-13-2011, 02:00 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Drink lots of water and juices, take vitamins if you can (B vits are especially good), rest as well as you can, and get medical help if you start feeling really bad or scared. For me the first three days were the worst, after that I started feeling more normal and a lot better, at least physically.

Money or no money, work or no work, please get help if you start feeling worse or 'strange'. Better safe than sorry. (ask Dee about that)
Old 06-13-2011, 02:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks once again. I may keep updating here just to talk about it. Or maybe start a new thread.

I am drinking lots of water and have a multi viamin(which I've always taken) and got a vitamin b complex that also has zinc, vit c and a few other good detox stuff.

As of right now I actually feel pretty good. Just felt a bit off today. A bit of anxiety but nothing big. Hearing everyone elses stories, I'm just dreading that tomorrow, or the day after, or a week later, I will hit MY hard spot. I mean, I want a beer, or rather my body wants a beer. But for now, I don't. And if this is all I get for symptoms of withdrawal then I am the luckiest mofo ever. I'm trying to just take it one day at a time. So far, today is relatively good. Tomorrow may not be I guess and I'll deal with that then and try to enjoy that today is ok. Tomorrow is day 3.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:14 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
A work in progress

You will be WAY over withdrawal two weeks in. Withdrawal usually only takes three or four days. You might still be feeling some discomfort in two weeks (sleep problems, for example, are pretty common), but you will be well past the danger zone.
Old 06-14-2011, 05:15 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

My next blog entry. No need to read, too long. But it's nice to spill it out.

Still going. Third day. Hope I am not annoying anyone by bumping this thread so much.

Slept pretty poorly last night again. Felt myself twitch a few times which is probably the withdrawal. But again, for the most part it hasn't been horrible for me. I was pretty tired today but find myself more talkative at work and avoiding people less. Which is REALLY weird for me. Got pretty cranky by the end of the day and find myself a bit snappy at times but for the most part I am happier during the day and way more productive at work not being hung over.

I'm worried that I may at some point decide(stupidly) that I can eventually manage drinking like a normal person again. For now, I don't want to at all. Even though we still have beer rye and rum in the house. I can reach behind me right now and grab it if I want, but I don't want to. Every alcoholic wants to be normal again. But I know from pas experience, that first drink is the only good one. And I can't stop at that first drink. I'd love a beer right now, or more so, a big huge shot of rye. But I'd only want it for the rush of the buzz. Which is why I am here in the first place.

Being crabby when I got home today I decided to lift some weights. Which is something I used to do avidly before I became an alchy. I am 50 lbs heavier than I was 5 or 6 years ago when things started ramping up. Hopefully with not taking in the extra empty 1500 cals a day, working out, and simply getting some testosterone back from not drinking I can get back to a decent shape and healthy again.

I do find myself a bit bored because, well, drinking from 4-10 pm everyday was my past time. I find myself constantly thinking about how it will be telling people I am quitting drinking and how it will be at family gatherings etc. in which I used to pig out on booze. But there are sooooo many good thoughts during each day too. Like not worrying about being too hung over to do anything the next day when the wifey and I are in our romatic hotel this weekend. Worrying that I will be too hung over if there is some sort of activity or get together on saturday. Packing loads of aspirin or whatever for the inevitable hang over. No more!

Still worried about all this. But happy that so far I haven't suffered nearly as much as most of you from detox. I feel quite guilty about it actually, and I keep thinking something is going to bite me in the ass for it. Or, I will do something stupid about it because it hasn't been the worst days of my life like it is for so many. But right now I am determined and feel good about what I am doing, and I feel less guilty and better about myself.

Anyway, signing off again. On to day 4 tomorrow.