View Single Post
Old 06-11-2011, 12:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Itchy
Re-Member

Hi Starting! Welcome to SR!
You have already taken the first step by coming to a resource for information. I was strongly advised by my Doc to get into a medically supervised detox when I told him I was at my wits end. I'll bet you feel like your drinking every night and not being able to stop until drunk is as bad as it gets. Maybe for you, as we all have our personal bottom. I can tell you that I got to the stage you are at about three years before I hit my personal bottom. I was putting shots in my first cups of coffee in the early morning and switching to beers when I was coffee'd out at 9 AM. See I retired early and then three more times and I am not even 60 yet. The last time I retired was so that I didn't have to abstain from drinking first thing in the morning to get rid of the shakes.

It will progress to that for every addicted to ETOH person eventually.

So back to your question. What can you expect from detox?

Well as I told you my Doc recommended in hospital detox but I am not rich just don't have to work if I choose not to. But as soon as I talked with him I learned of a free program with the VA I qualified for, so I did it.

You see I already decided that all I needed was a start, to get over the detox and then I would take it from there. Because like you, except in the mornings, I swore that I was not going to put it in htta first coffee, and several times I made it, so I put it in my second coffee and proceeded as usual.

So I avoided the worst part in a controlled environment.

From there there are a bunch of things that happen that vary from person to person. Please do yourself a favor and read the links that are in the posts above this one.

Best of luck with your journey.