Notices

So how does one stop?

Old 06-11-2011, 11:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So how does one stop?

I've come to the realization that I have a drinking problem. Intentions are great when I say I'll only have 1/2 glass wine tonight - 3hrs later and 6 drinks later I'm drunk. Next morning I hate myself for being so weak, and say ok no more today is the day. But it never happens. Any recommendations?
Old 06-11-2011, 11:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Welcome to SR.

Here is a great place to start: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I know that it took a recovery program for me to be successful at stopping drinking for any length of time. I had made many attempts prior to a recovery program but always wound up right back where I started from. Personally AA is the program that has worked for me.

Take care and again glad you are here.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For me, the old saying 'when the pain of your situation is greater than your fear of change, then you will change' pretty much summed up the stage I got to with my drinking before I decided to quit for good. I didnt use a recovery program then but now go to NA meetings for face to face support. Id recommend checking out a meeting sooner rather than later, youve really nothing to lose. I was apprehensive because of the whole holding hands and saying the serenity prayer - but in the grand scheme of things, its a slight discomfort in comparison to the embarrassment my drinking caused me.

Good Luck
Old 06-11-2011, 11:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Can anyone explain what types of withdrawal I may Have?
Old 06-11-2011, 11:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Depends on how much you drink and how often, your doctor will best advise you on how to do this - it can apparently be dangerous. I was already prescribed benzos which is what they frequently will give alcos in withdrawal so I didnt need to worry.....

THeres a few threads on what various members experienced in withdrawal - everyones different, again it depends how long youve been drinking and how much....
Old 06-11-2011, 11:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 06-11-2011, 11:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Check out a meeting. It is better to stop drinking before it takes everything from you. I am a low bottom drunk w/ 40 days sober. I only had my life to give it, and I'll be damned if alcoholism tried to take that too.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Hi Starting! Welcome to SR!
You have already taken the first step by coming to a resource for information. I was strongly advised by my Doc to get into a medically supervised detox when I told him I was at my wits end. I'll bet you feel like your drinking every night and not being able to stop until drunk is as bad as it gets. Maybe for you, as we all have our personal bottom. I can tell you that I got to the stage you are at about three years before I hit my personal bottom. I was putting shots in my first cups of coffee in the early morning and switching to beers when I was coffee'd out at 9 AM. See I retired early and then three more times and I am not even 60 yet. The last time I retired was so that I didn't have to abstain from drinking first thing in the morning to get rid of the shakes.

It will progress to that for every addicted to ETOH person eventually.

So back to your question. What can you expect from detox?

Well as I told you my Doc recommended in hospital detox but I am not rich just don't have to work if I choose not to. But as soon as I talked with him I learned of a free program with the VA I qualified for, so I did it.

You see I already decided that all I needed was a start, to get over the detox and then I would take it from there. Because like you, except in the mornings, I swore that I was not going to put it in htta first coffee, and several times I made it, so I put it in my second coffee and proceeded as usual.

So I avoided the worst part in a controlled environment.

From there there are a bunch of things that happen that vary from person to person. Please do yourself a favor and read the links that are in the posts above this one.

Best of luck with your journey.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You should seek medical help for withdrawal. To quit drinking many people use a program of recovery because trying to do it by yourself doesn't usually work. Many people choose AA and it's what I currently use. I would recommend that you try a few meetings in your area and tell the folks you meet that you are a newcomer.

In my opinion, face to face support is very important and that's one of the things that AA provides. However SR provides a very good supplement to F-2-F and is available 24/7.

Welcome.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Starting View Post
Can anyone explain what types of withdrawal I may Have?
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 06-11-2011, 04:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

some great advice here Starting
Keep close to SR too - it was pretty important to me in the early days.

Good to have you with us!
Welcome!

D
Old 06-11-2011, 05:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you found us!
Old 06-11-2011, 05:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome...
Old 06-11-2011, 06:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You are on the right track if you realize you have a problem! AA is working for me. just make sure you go in with an open mind if you decide to go. Welcome!
Old 06-11-2011, 06:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Old 06-11-2011, 06:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Wow I never expected so many people to responde. My Doctor wants me to quit, but has not offered nor have I asled for assistance. I'm really scared, doubtful,sceptical and all the other things but I know that I need to take hold of the reins on this mustang, thank you all for your encouragement and I'm very glad that I got the nerve up to post something
Old 06-11-2011, 07:18 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Just wanted to give another welcome to you, starting. So glad you found SR. There are some wonderful folks here!
Old 06-11-2011, 08:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome Starting. Better to stop now if you can...not sure what your history is but if you have online resources and can get to an AA meeting that's a start. The best way to start is to take action. Wishing you peace and strength.