Thread: Night Terrors
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2011, 11:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JustAYak
Clever Yak

Hi Pigtails, I too also have night terrors. I'm still fairly young, only 20, but that's still an adult

I've had them since I was 15, though it is due to various traumatic events in my life. I do remember having frequent nightmares before I was 15, but those are different than night terrors.

I too share the unpleasant experience of waking up in a pool of sweat, your heart racing, feeling disoriented, confused, fearful, or even dizzy. I have also been woken up by my roommate or (when I lived with them) foster parents screaming at the top of my lungs or crying out in my sleep, thrashing and kicking at the invisible monsters.

Your docs are right, stress and anxiety have A LOT to do with the night terrors. Taking drugs and drinking put more stress on your body because they are essentially toxins and your body freaks out when they're in your system, hence why alcohol may be enough of a trigger for your night terrors. Drinking while you're already stressed or feeling anxious will only escalate the outcome if you think about it logically. I have found through cognitive therapy and getting my PTSD under control, that the night terrors have lessened, though they still have not gone away. If I am emotionally triggered by something that day, enough to lead to an increased level of anxiety, it often leads to a night terror within the next few days, unless I get it under control and manage to find a way to ease my stress level. I have found simple things like walking my dog or listening to music help, though for me personally, routine is VERY important. I like routine, it keeps me grounded, and when everything is on cue for me, I find I have less stress.

I hope the positive lifestyle changes you're making help your night terror problem. There's hope and help out there!