Old 06-10-2011, 02:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sheneedshelp

Trying to Truely figure out if my daughter is an alocholic

Over the past couple of days I've been doing some serious research on alocholism. I had done some before right when my daughter started acting the way she does and I just assumed she was constantly drunk and always going to parties and that she was an alocholic. She was away at college it was something I could easily assume. She had ignored all consequences of her actions (two school sactions, probation, suspension an arrest, a night in jail). She showed all of the major signs from a distance.

But now she's back home. She said she cleaned herself up towards the end of the year and it appeared so her GPA went up. She got very drunk the last weekend with her school friends, I don't condone it but I'd be lying if I said I never went to an end of the school year party in college. I just didn't post pictures of it on facebook. I also didn't have the track record of excessive drinking all year she did. I assumed she was just going to fall back to where she was.

Except then she was home from nearly two weeks before drinking. I watched MTV's True Life on Alocholism (probably not the best source but it still gave good insight) Those girls were always drinking. Amber doesn't do that. It seems like she's at a point where she only does it on occasion and has no self control and drinks way way too much and then does incredibly risky stuff.

Another big thing I notice with Amber is she can handle being around people drinking and not drinking. It's supposed to be a major sign of alocholism that alocholics can't do that. Two days ago Amber came from work at about 11 and was in the living room with me and my husband watching a movie. My husband drank probably three beers while she was in the room and she didn't even blink an eye. And she went to bed before both of us so I know she didn't do it after we were gone.

She also never drinks alone like most alocholics. It's always just at a party. It's still not good, but I'm not sure if its alocholism.

It's confusing and hard to watch to see my daughter drink as much as she does and in the past I've just assumed it was alocholism but upon doing further research I'm not so sure. She does drink way too much when she does drink, and she ignores all consequences. She gets makes very bad desicions and loses all respect for her body. But noneless I'm not sure if she's completely an alocholic. Can someone please help me out