View Single Post
Old 06-10-2011, 09:31 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Pigtails

Originally Posted by Zencat View Post
I found that to be true for me. After a long long time of dealing with just about every aspect of life with alcohol and drugs. I had to relearn how to live without turning to alcohol every time I'm happy, sad, nervous, angry ... you name, if I could feel it, I would drink to elate it or depress it.

Thankfully it is never too late to relearn or to learn anew how to have a new life free from addiction. Just like a great many things in life, to acquire something desirable in life, especially a new way to live; practice, persistence and patients (The 3 P's).

Its exciting to have the person wherewithal to craft a new drug free life. The rewards of developing new behaviors and patterns of thought is uplifting, a huge boost to my self-worth and just a darn good feeling of doing a job well done.
I've found myself talking to myself or poeple who aren't there or my pets a lot instead of drinking, ha ha ha! Maybe I'm going crazy! Yesterday my boss kept droning on and on and on about one issue after work hours and I just wanted to get home! I felt terribly irritated which isn't like me but as someone pointed out I guess it is withdrawal... I feel like I didn't really feel withdrawal symptoms much until yesterday (except for very weird dreams/nightmares involving drinking or not drinking, but I have a sleep disorder so it made sense to me that my brain was working out its issues during the night instead of the day really), and then it all hit at once -- anxiety, irritability, headache, heart palpitations that were pretty scary, sweating a lot, etc. Anyway once I was finally able to leave and I got into my car I said out loud, "[Boss], you are driving me crazy, it's enough to almost drive me to drink! But I won't!" Or when I got home I told my pets, "hey it's Happy Hour, let's be happy, we're all going to drink our water now." I don't know why doing this makes me feel better... I guess I like to deal with things with humor or else I will really start crying and head to the nearest bar where all my friends are enjoying their margarita, boo.

So yeah I've been working out more, eating healthy which requires extra time and work for preparation etc., organizing my new apartment, apparently talking to myeslf now, etc... anything but going out and drinking!