View Single Post
Old 06-10-2011, 03:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
BinaryNomad

Exclamation Sleepless in Soberville

I am a 42 year old male and I began drinking heavily 7 years ago as a supplement to my anti-depression and anti-anxiety medications that I no longer take. For the last 4 years I have been drinking a fifth or so of Rum every night before bed. I have told myself over and over that it is not a problem because I never miss work, never get in trouble, and only drink at night at home before bed and “it is just my way of unwinding”. I do realize that this must be very bad for my body and for health reasons I should stop. I also realize that just because I am functioning does not mean I don’t have a problem.

So today for the first time in years I have not had a drink, and I sit here typing this post at 6am unable to sleep a wink. Even after going to the all night drug store and taking over the counter sleeping medication I still cannot sleep. My body is tired but my mind cares not. If I can’t sleep I know I will be buying another bottle tomorrow as I can’t work if I am not getting any sleep. If it comes between my job and sobriety I must choose the job.

Please share with me what worked in helping you sleep once you stopped drinking and I will forever be in your debt.

-BinaryNomad