Notices

Sleepless in Soberville

Old 06-10-2011, 03:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation Sleepless in Soberville

I am a 42 year old male and I began drinking heavily 7 years ago as a supplement to my anti-depression and anti-anxiety medications that I no longer take. For the last 4 years I have been drinking a fifth or so of Rum every night before bed. I have told myself over and over that it is not a problem because I never miss work, never get in trouble, and only drink at night at home before bed and “it is just my way of unwinding”. I do realize that this must be very bad for my body and for health reasons I should stop. I also realize that just because I am functioning does not mean I don’t have a problem.

So today for the first time in years I have not had a drink, and I sit here typing this post at 6am unable to sleep a wink. Even after going to the all night drug store and taking over the counter sleeping medication I still cannot sleep. My body is tired but my mind cares not. If I can’t sleep I know I will be buying another bottle tomorrow as I can’t work if I am not getting any sleep. If it comes between my job and sobriety I must choose the job.

Please share with me what worked in helping you sleep once you stopped drinking and I will forever be in your debt.

-BinaryNomad
Old 06-10-2011, 03:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
FNW
seeking acceptance

Hi BN! welcome to SR. it didn't last forever for me, maybe 4-5 days. Tough it out - your job will still be there! Good luck, FNW
Old 06-10-2011, 04:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Dear BInary: Welcome to SR! I completely understand--insomnia is common when you stop drinking, you'll find it on a lot of threads here. I am on Day Nine, and I didn't sleep at all for the first five days. Just like you, I would find myself awake all night long. One night, I was awake until 9 AM and slept a few hours after that. I work for myself so to a certain extent can work around those hours.

But two nights ago, I slept from 1 until 10 AM. A whole night all the way through! It just takes some time for your body to adjust to not having alcohol in your system, and when your body finally gets so tired that it absolutely needs sleep, you'll sleep. In the meantime, try to do relaxing things, take a bath, eat something comforting, etc, before sleeping. Try to get some exercise--I've taken up walking. And find some comfort in the fact that you will start sleeping and most likely, better than when you were drinking.

Congratulations on your decision not to drink! Hang in there and let us know how you are doing.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

it took me a solid month to be able to sleep, but i was a pretty low bottom alcoholic.

what did help me was 2 things. exercise and getting out in the sun.

if you can get to a pool and swim, it will help alot. the sun gives off vitamin D and that helps you sleep. the exercise will help release seratonin and that combats withdrawal and anxiety. i also took unisom for a week or so when i was re-learning to sleep without booze.

keep us informed, and welcome...it will get better!
Old 06-10-2011, 09:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
It took me a few weeks to get over the insomnia. I had to lay off the coffee as soon as the workday was over.

Some melatonin at night did help some, though, but mostly you have to ride it out.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm on day 52, and had the same thing in the early days. It got better around day 5/6. I'm still knocking around until past midnight most nights and having a little trouble dropping off, but my sleep quality is better once I'm out. No getting up to the bathroom in the middle of the night, or guzzling water, or crazy dreams. Just great, refreshing, solid sleep. It's amazing to think how I functioned for all those years on such poor quality sleep. Stick it out, annoying though it is, I promise you it will be worth it!
Old 06-10-2011, 09:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for the words of encouragement and advice. I will try to get some exercise today and hopefully will succumb tonight.

--BN
Old 06-10-2011, 09:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to Soberville!!

And welcome to SR! You will get over the no-sleeping stuff; it'll just take a bit of time. I think I've tried every otc sleep aid and they didn't do a thing to help me sleep so I tossed 'em.
Please just be patient and it will get better!
Old 06-10-2011, 10:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Don't try too hard... There are some meditation CD's by Liquid Mind, on iTunes, that helped me a bunch... one is called sleep, one has to use proper headphones, as opposed to earbuds, the low frequencies are important (there is some science to this )

Don't rule out a physician's help... after three nights of not sleeping after I quit, a physician prescribed some trazodone which is non addicting for 5 nights...

Exercise... and, don't TRY too hard.

I sleep really well now... hang in there, you will too...
Old 06-10-2011, 06:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Your Doctor can prescribe a variety of medication to help you sleep. Absolutely no reason to have to choose between drinking and sleeping. I know i wasn't able to the first 5 days. I only had about 15 minutes hear, 20 minutes there. It was awful and I got really crazy but I had time off so it didn't conflict with any work. Looking back, not asking for help in this department was the biggest mistake I made.