View Single Post
Old 06-08-2011, 11:19 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
SwanSong

Like Anna and others have said, when I decided to quit drinking I discarded the rest of the people with whom my only real association was drinking or partying with. I read that you only became friends with her about 8 months ago which may or may not be after you got sober. If it was, then I would highly encourage you to think about making new friends in sobriety with people who constantly text you or talk to you about anything alcohol related. In fact, remove constantly from that last sentence. We don't need to be teased? about alcohol- and as reggiewayne so eloquently put it 'having a glass of wine for me is like enlisting in the army'. So true.

For most of us to build a safe lifestyle sober we have to be rid of all those 'friends' that are all about their drinking and move on. At least, I did. And it appears I am not alone. My friends now are either in AA, sober and not in AA, or non-partiers (those who would both not even notice if I didn't drink nor even ask me to have one cause it doesn't mean anything to them).

Lastly, it is understandable that you feel hurt and have some resentment towards this person - the next day you awoke and realized you gave up your sobriety whereas she woke up and probably thought she was being 'cute' by sending you that text. Adding it all up and I'd say since you've made it back to recovery you have a valuable learning experience to use from now going forward. Hopefully another member of SR may have been saved from a similar experience if they are new and reading this so thanks for posting and I'm happy you're back with us.