Old 06-08-2011, 08:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Workinghard2011

Unhappy Don't know what to do with my brother . . .

My brother went to rehab in 2006. He hit rock bottom just prior - wife kicked him out and filed for divorce, lost his job, lost just about everything. He was an active participant in AA for several years. He claims to be continuing to go. He lost his new job in 2008 and lived off unemployment until it ran out at the end of last year. He tends to be rather lazy - spends quite a bit of time watching TV, sleeping. He has always put the least amount of energy necessary into anything that he does. The unemployment was perfect for him because he didn't have to work, but still had some cash to live on.

Our mother passed away in 2008 and left each one of us some money. He has used up every cent of this to live on and to pay off astronomical credit card bills that he racked up prior to rehab. He has also used up his retirement account. My mother also left us some real estate, however, that hasn't sold due to the housing market. We have a small amount of cash that we put aside to maintain the real estate. In February, my brother got a new sales job but had a cash flow issue and asked for some money from this small reserve. We gave it to him, but now three months later he is asking for more.

We believe he may be drinking again, but at this time he is still holding onto the job. We have recently found out that he is in mega trouble with the IRS. My siblings and I are very tired of his antics. We know that if we give him this requested cash, he will be back again in a couple of months. Technically, the money is his, but we all agreed that we would leave a reserve to maintain the real estate until it sells.

My siblings and I are tempted to just buy him out of the real estate. None of us like being in this role. We are nervous what the IRS could do to this asset that we jointly own.

I also am nervous about giving him a large check because if he is drinking again -- who knows what he will do.

Any advice?