View Single Post
Old 06-08-2011, 07:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
kittykitty

Hi Amborz, and welcome, i'm glad you are here.

Definitely recommend Alanon as well, it has helped me tremendously. I was raised by an A, have dated numerous addicts of all kinds, and recently left an active A who was in serious denial about his drinking problems. After 2 life threatening accidents, numerous traffic stops, and two stints in jail, license suspensions, all as a result of his drinking, he is still under the impression he can handle it. Still drives to the bar (without a license) gets drunk, and drives home. At 3 in the afternoon. Some of them just never get it, and they don't want to. Leaving him was the smartest thing I have done for myself in a long time.

It doesn't sound like your boyfriend wants to be sober anymore. Period. Dragging him to meetings, or trying to discuss 'what's bothering him' is not going to help the situation. What's bothering him is he wants to drink like a normal person, an HE CAN'T. That's what's bothering him. And you know he can't, and you're reminding him of that.

You've already seen the rapid transition from a few beers to hard liquor. He took a job in the restaurant industry, which has such a high rate of alcoholism I can't even tell you (I've been in and out of it for the last 20 years). He chose to hang out with heavy drinkers. He is under the impression that he can drink, and there is nothing you can do to change his mind. You can only decide if you want to have a front row seat to what is coming or not. And you know it's coming, otherwise you wouldn't be here.

He's putting himself, his own needs, and his own desires first in his life. So maybe it's time for you to do the same. That doesn't mean leave, that doesn't mean stay. That means focus on yourself, and what you need to do to stay happy and healthy in your sobriety.

Keep coming back, we are here for you, no matter what happens!