View Single Post
Old 06-07-2011, 04:57 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
resumebreakdown
Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by susanlauren View Post
Violation of marital trust: don't you think that Mrs. Dina is doing the exact same thing as her husband is "supposedly" doing at his AA meetings by posting on the SR board?
Sorry to respond twice, but I never said Dina's husband was doing this. I was responding to DarkLight's comment about many spouses feeling like they have to "compete" with AA.

If you have been to Open Discussion meetings, which it seems you have from your comment about them being therapy sessions without the therapist, you know that what I said is true.

People often disclose information that their spouse may not want disclosed outside of a confidential environment, such as with a therapist. Open Discussion meetings, by their very nature, are not confidential.

I live with a teetotaler, and she would control how many drinks I had all the time. Of course, I was always hiding and sneaking drinks, so her count was usually way off, but that's another story.

I can emphasize with what Dina is saying here. She says that she does not drink and never has, so it is logical that she may not be able to understand.

But, I think that we also have to take into account that it may be unreasonable for us to expect someone who has never had a drink in their life to understand.