View Single Post
Old 06-07-2011, 04:14 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
resumebreakdown
Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by susanlauren View Post
ResumeBreakdown: If one has taken the steps and had a spiritual awakening, the meetings are not mandatory. Once a week should be enough to keep plugged in.

If one has had a spiritual awakening, then one would recognize the absolute necessity of working with others and giving the program away to newcomers and other AAs who need it and want it. You are free to work your program however you see fit, ResumeBreakdown, but there would be few folks with recovery in the rooms to share the AA message with the newcomer if they all decided they were going to go to one meeting a week. I am not saying that seven meetings a week is the ideal either. I think the key word here is balance.
Susan
I didn't mean to imply that people should not do 12th step work at all.

But, if you are married with a job and four kids, for example, there are only so many "new" people you can properly sponsor.

I have a personal limit, otherwise it tends to get out of hand. Once the current ones get established and it seems they are OK, I will then offer help to others.

But, I don't need to go to meetings to work with them.

They can meet me at home after work, so that I can still spend time with my family.