View Single Post
Old 06-07-2011, 07:20 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
JTele

I'm not in AA, so I can't speak from that experience, but it does seem very odd that your husband would want to shut you out after 30 years of marriage in favor of his friends at AA, even if AA is truly helping him recover from alcoholism. I found my sobriety experience the exact opposite; instead of drifting away from my wife of 36 years, I decided I wanted to become closer to her to see just what it was about her that enabled her to support me all the years while I was drinking. Of course, when one decides to become sober, it has to become a major priority or recovery may not be successful. I think we can all agree on that. However, I found that the most beneficial factor of my support came from my family and friends, and my wife has truly been the most instrumental and most supportive element anyone could possibly ask for.

I tend to agree with others when they say that something sounds amiss or unusual, and without hearing what your husband has to say, it really is very difficult for any of us to draw any conclusions or to give sound advice. But, from what you're saying, it does indeed sound to me as though there may very well be an underlying problem or issue that needs to be brought out into the open.