View Single Post
Old 06-07-2011, 03:35 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
60andbeyond

Yes, it does get better. Immensely better. Hang in there!

For me there were a few things that helped. Number one was exercise. Even if it was just a walk - it was a moment when I had to focus on something else. The longer the walk or run, the better. Music in my ears helped end the chatter, also. I started to run and then started to see how far I could go. This REALLY cleared my mind because I had to focus on one foot in front of the other. It's also a sport that doesn't work well with drinking so knowing that I had to stay sober in order to run helped.

Here are two very serious things that helped above and beyond. This isn't a nice thing but it's reality so - sorry in advance for the details. My 37 year old brother died from alcoholism (hypertension caused by chronic alcoholism) in March. Very sadly, his body wasn't discovered until weeks later. When we entered his home to clean it out the smell of death was still very present. My mind was able to equate that horrid stench with alcohol. I nearly puked the next time I went to the grocery store and saw wine bottles because that smell immediately came to me. I started to see alcohol as poison with a big skull and cross bones on it. I still get ill to my stomach when I see it. Losing my brother to alcoholism and the horrible nature of his dying alone all because of this disease put it in a light I had never realized or even thought of before. It's very real now.

I know everyone has a different experience but all I can say is that it does get better. I can't believe how much better I feel at 64 days. Coming out of the fog I never knew how far down *I* was. I made so many other excuses. I didn't think I would make it this far. . . but I have. And you will, too. It will be better.

I agree with instant - my life was filled with all those points also. It's so freeing to not have to hide anymore and to "worry" about "normal" things. That freedom is amazing.