View Single Post
Old 06-06-2011, 08:55 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Supercrew

If he was truly an alcoholic he just changed one dependency for another, drinking for AA. It is better for his health, but can do tremendous damage to relationships and marriages where the drinking problem didn't affect the family life.

The power and strength that he used to have has been turned over to AA. I know AA helps millions of people quit drinking, but yours is not an isolated case. And I apologized but I disagree with some of the above posts, he has been your partner in marriage for 30years, and I agree with you, the marriage comes first, and he owes it to you to step back into the marriage and address the issues.

The problem with bringing this issue to a forum where many people rely on AA is you will not find many people who will see your side of the issue because they had to change a very strong belief pattern in which at one point they could not live without alcohol, with a belief pattern that says they can't live without AA. There is nothing wrong with that if it works for you and makes you happy, but when that belief pattern tears apart a family it needs to be addressed and changed. Sorry for your pain.