View Single Post
Old 06-04-2011, 08:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Freedom1990

Originally Posted by solowife View Post
I have not been able to connect with anyone yet that understands the incredible life-shift that happens when a loved one is put into prison and their spouses "other life" is exposed, all while those left behind are left without the basic elements to meet their needs physically, let alone emotionally.
It's a difficult and painful place to be in, isn't it? I had no one to talk to when my EXAH took a third, yes third, trip to the penitentiary. His prior two stays were before I met him.

I can only share my personal experience, and that is the marriage did not survive for many reasons, not the least of which were my sanity and safety.

He had jailhouse remorse. That was the extent of it. Even after his parole officer sent him off to inpatient rehab, he was back to drinking whiskey and shooting dope the day he got out.

That man is deceased now, complications due to AIDS. He was 47 when he was buried. That was a gift I missed out on by about 2 weeks had I decided to stay with him. That would have left a daughter without a mother eventually.

It's wonderful you have recovery for yourself. I promise, you will be okay as long as you embrace your own recovery.

I have survived more than I ever thought possible because I've had recovery in my life.

I hope you continue to post, and know that you are among people who care.