View Single Post
Old 06-04-2011, 03:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
TheJungianThing

Well there are alternatives to AA. I haven't tried them but I've read about them and the core of them all seem to be to bring about a more joyful and productive life for the sober alcoholic.

SMART Recovery has some tools.

http://www.smartrecovery.org/resources/toolchest.htm

Originally Posted by First Edition Alcoholics Anonymous
Yes," replied the doctor, "there is. Exceptions to cases such as yours have been occurring since early times. Here and there, once in a while, alcoholics have had what are called vital spiritual experiences. To me these occurrences are phenomena. They appear to be in the nature of huge emotional displacements and re*arrangements. Ideas, emotions, and attitudes which were once the guiding forces of the lives of these men are suddenly east to one side, and a completely new set of conceptions and motives begin to dominate them. In fact, I have been trying to produce some such emotional rearrangement within you. 14With many individuals the methods which I employed are successful, but I have never been successful with an alcoholic of your descrip*tion."
If you're reluctant to go the AA way of 12 Steps, perhaps you could try one of these other programs. I''m quite certain an open mind and some willingness are all you would need to bring to the table for any of them.

See, I have this sense, that there is a God - I'm not Him, but there is one. And He's pretty shrewd. He's well aware of humanities fallible nature and kind of facilitates the evolution of "other ways", other "paths" for people. I don't think He'd only extend ONE solution for an alcoholic.

AA gets my vote, of course, but I've no real issues with any of the proposals offered in it. I can't say one way or another about the other programs because I haven't tried them. The only one I can say with 100% experience has failed me is the program I called "My Way". That way truly sucked.

Best of luck bro(?)