View Single Post
Old 06-01-2011, 09:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
booksnlattes

This helps

Thank you, everyone. This is so true... how much good can I be to one group if I'm not strong with my core issues? It's like I started the 12 Step process because of my son, but then I discovered that was just the tip of the iceberg. His problems, and the way I was affected by his behaviors, opened the door to my own recovery (Al Anon, Nar Anon, Families Anonymous). But then I realized that my issues with him are just symptomatic of something so much bigger that have to do with my being an Adult Child.

I need different experience and wisdom, now. I need to hear and learn from other Adult Children, not just other parents dealing with their kids' addictions. The Laundry List that goes with being an Adult Child affects your entire life.

But I've always struggled with feeling obligated to help everywhere and anywhere that I can... which pretty much makes you a useless lump after so long. :/ But that stupid sick part of me just keeps spreading myself too thin.

But that's one of our problems, isn't it? Staying busy in other people's stuff keeps us from dealing with our own.

Ugh. Thanx for the insights!