View Single Post
Old 05-30-2011, 11:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
MrDavid

Post Re:Tearing Down To Rebuild...

Yeah...I hear where your coming from. My sponsor has reminded me on many occasions that "I might be new to AA but I'm not new to the world". How true...It reminds me of the "drunken horse thief" analogy and how we're still horse thieves just without the alcohol. Removing the alcohol is one thing but changing our behaviors (like you said) is another.

That restless feeling that you talked about conjures up memories of my past and how deflated I felt. I couldn't see beyond the first step and witness firsthand the power of transformation and how that unfolds. The lives that were being transformed were unimaginable, especially from my alcoholic perspective. When my perspective changed, my life did as well. That's when I started to experience the life altering gifts of sobriety and how constructive thinking can pave the way for future successes. I viewed my life from a positive perspective not my alcoholic one. I first accepted my alcoholism, changed my perspective and outlook on life, then started to experience the blessings that only dreams are made of. The construction is always ongoing (like you said) but the building permits never have an expiration date and neither does our dreams. Do they???I think not...At least from my perspective they don't.

~God bless~