View Single Post
Old 05-30-2011, 08:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
booksnlattes

Guilt over leaving one group for another

I know we don't give advice, so I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience. I started the recovery journey in a particular family 12 step group because my child is an alcoholic/addict. It helped greatly, but it also helped me see that my issues are so much deeper than just dealing with my son. I realize now that I am ACA, and I found a face-to-face ACA group. It's like finding the answers to all my problems in one place. Everything about it is me.

The problem is that due to my schedule and having a home and family to consider, I can't be gone multiple nights a week to go to my different groups. I NEED the ACA group, but I'm considered a valuable member of the other family group I started with. When I've talked with a few people about needing to choose one place to go for recovery, they make me feel guilty about leaving the family group. They talk about needing to give back to the newcomers and how my growth and experience is important there.

But I feel like the family group was just the first step toward me finding ACA, and I just can't, and don't want, to do two groups. I have four kids at home and the evenings are hectic.

Has anyone else experienced wanting to leave a group or committee or something like that, and being made to feel guilty or wrong or selfish about doing so?

I'm torn, and this guilt and sense or responsibility to stay where I started is hindering my recovery, not helping it.