View Single Post
Old 05-30-2011, 07:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
freeinhim

I believe in God and am a practicing and committed Christian. However, I don't attend AA and personally have nothing against it. I'm sure that many people find needed help in support in AA. But you did say something that caught my eye:

I'm guessing that I need a new sponsor, but...and this is what makes AA so difficult, it asks that you put yourself out there, for the fellowship, but here it is again, burned by humanity and relationships. I almost feel like leaving the program.
This certainly is the dilemma when we put our faith in man. Humans are prone to error; we make mistakes. The greater the “faith” and “trust” we place in another person, the greater the let-down when they fail. I can tell you how many congregations were destroyed when the senior pastor fell into sin. For some, their faith was completely shattered.

I have a sponsor, but my sponsor never fails. He is always with me and is always there when I need him. My sponsor is Jesus Christ. Jesus said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you. I will be with you until the end of the age.” And that is exactly what he has done for me. When I am weak and need encouragement, he is strong. When I feel like giving up or quitting, he there to encourage me. I know that not everyone understands this, but it certainly works for me!

I also want to encourage you about dismissing “humanity and relationships” because you’ve been burned. If everyone who has ever been burned gave up on meaningful relationships, then this world would be a cold place – neither giving nor receiving love.

Recognize that people (yes, even your sponsor) are truly fallible. No one is perfect. Once you embrace that truth, you won’t feel so disappointed.

Hope this helps…

FIH