View Single Post
Old 05-28-2011, 08:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sylvie66

More advice? okay, I've got lots!

About her job: she can call Tuesday am and say that she is dealing with DV and will they hold her job for 2 weeks while she gets it straightened out. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT THE ANSWER IS. She can deal with that in 2 weeks.

About the dope: It sounds quite likely that he is on a new type of cocaine that is filtering into the US. Can you call the police back and get an emergency restraining order? Though, they're notoriously disregarded, which leads to the next:

About security: Do NOT answer the phone or the door. Does he know or suspect that she is there? If so, it might be safer for you all to go to a hotel until next week. ($$$, I know). or she could go to the DV center tomorrow, or everyone can sleep in inside rooms.

Point the car facing out, in a position that can't be blocked. Keep the keys where you can always reach them. If you hold down the 9 key on a cell phone, it will dial 911.

About whether she should go back: no. everything can be replaced except her and the baby. I've done it. She can do it. And Babyblue is right: in many states, a woman who returns to an abuser is liable for jail time and having the kid turned to foster care. Certainly, it's true in this state. Call and ask. She needs all the help she can get. She is not thinking straight; no one can under those conditions. She needs time and resources. Safety and professional help of all kinds.

Keep checking in, please. keep breathing in and out. Nothing needs to be decided right now. Can you call a friend to go shopping for you? You need help here too.

The more people who can join in against DV, the less impact it will have. The more you and your daughter lean on the support of your friends and community, the less emotional trauma this time will have. I know that seems a foolish thing to say, but I'm looking at it 17 years later.

- Sylvie