Old 05-26-2011, 05:00 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Alone22

The only people that lie to me our my kids and my AH. The kids I totally confront them so they know they can't get away with it. We also talk about why honesty is important. Normal growing up stuff.

With AH I do not asked questions any longer about his illness which has ended most of the lying. When he lies about drinking I tell him what the truth is. No anger, no emotion, just what the truth is. The most recent example I can think of was when he wanted to talk because he was not happy with how I am emotionally and physically with him. He tried to tell me that it was just a slip a few months back. I corrected him and told him, "no you are actively drinking still". "Just because I no longer confront you about it does not mean I don't know". He agreed and then the conversation evolved from that point. We discussed why I act and feel the way I do. The biggest change for me (now that I am a recovering codie) was I walked away from that conversation with zero expectation that it had any affect on him. Before I would have felt like he got it, he is understanding my point and it was some sort of break through. Before his lying was a huge trigger for me, now I see what it is... his illness talking, but it is still coming out of HIS mouth which he need to make a choice of getting control of.