Old 05-26-2011, 09:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
lilac0721

Hi, Freebird! You came to the right place to find words of encouragement. There is lots of support here!
I can relate to the business thing...you mentioned that as a business owner you can get away with being hungover on Mondays and leaving early on Fridays, which is stunting the growth of your business. While I've not worked for myself, I have a career that involves a fair amount of independence and I've missed more days at the last few jobs than I care to admit and it has stunted the growth and blossoming of my career.

The great news is that you recognize the role drinking has played in where you are in life! And as for the damage that you are dealing with from your DUI, don't let that keep you from AA. People in the program will give you rides anytime! Seriously! And you aren't burdening anyone by asking! The most painful part of the DUI may be the sentencing, depending on where you live.

Believe it or not, I was a DUI court prosecutor until very recently (and was sometimes a bit hungover while there). I had (and continue to have) huge admiration for the people who took their DUI experience as a springboard for life change. I've seen lots of people make incredible changes because of DUIs in the past few years.

You can do this! Change can be tough (I am back to the umpteenth day 2), but getting through the tough stuff seems to be what makes people blossom in amazing ways!