Thread: The Wildside
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2011, 08:33 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
wellwisher

Thanks, Nandm....I happened to stumble onto the eagle cams through an e-mail link my cousin sent to me at the beginning of the year.

First I started watching the Outdoor Channel's webcam in Shepherdstown, WV. There were two eagle eggs; one hatched and the other was not viable. On St. Patrick's Day, the one egg hatched and they named it PaddyO. It only survived for about a day or two, (very sad - and yes, animals grieve - heartbreaking). The interesting part is that, knowing that eagles tend to mate for life, it seems a third eagle (now suspected to be male) interfered with the nest, and there was a lot of fighting going on around the nest during that eaglette's first day. Could have distracted the parents enough to not have fed the baby enough, or another theory is it got trounced on during one of the fights in the nest itself. The original male eagle has not been seen for quite some time now, and it appears the female is now mating with the new male (but it is too late in the year for new eggs) They don't think the original male died - it was forced away from the area. This is supposed to be very, very unusual eagle behavior.

Then, I switched to Turtle Bay webcam. There are two babies (now with five foot wing-spans - about 7 1/2 weeks old). They named them Stormy and Windy. Seems we'll have a success story there, thankfully.

They face such challenges - eagles being hit by planes, environmental factors, you name it, they have to deal with it. All in the name of progress.

I am grateful for all land trusts and people with foresight - it is so important to preserve these open lands before they become another condo or shopping mall.

Have a good one.....