View Single Post
Old 05-20-2011, 08:44 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
LaTeeDa

Originally Posted by DMC View Post
You will always be broke sharing finances with an alcoholic.
That's pretty much the bottom line it seems. We started out with a joint account. Isn't that how marriage is supposed to be? Ha! After years of being overdrawn before payday, paying ridiculous amounts in overdraft charges, and being always late with the bills, I opened my own account and had my paycheck direct deposited. Then we came to an "agreement" on which bills I would pay and which bills he would pay. Guess what? My bills got paid and his didn't.

I came home from work one day to find the power turned off. (I know you're wondering whose responsibility that bill was, lol.) So I took that one over. Then I got a notice in the mail that my car insurance was cancelled, so I took that one over. Eventually, I was paying everything except the cable TV. (I didn't care if that got disconnected.)

So, all my money was going to bills and groceries and keeping the household running, and all his money was going to drinking and partying with his friends. Then once when I was out of town, he took a $2000 cash advance on a credit card because he ran out of his own money. After that, no more joint credit cards.

So then one day I come home and find him and one of his buddies planning a road trip to go see someone in concert. What? You can't pay any portion of the household expenses, but you can afford to go on a trip and drink? Why I stayed for so long, I don't know......

L