Thread: On the edge
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2011, 03:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
citylights

i agree with D--I thought I could have just one glass of wine one night, nothing special, after nine years of hard won sobriety, well that glass of wine turned into two bottles a night at the end of three years of hell where I lost a lot of the ground that I had gained during my sober years. And man, do I feel like an idiot for throwing that away for "one glass of wine" at dinner with someone who isn't sober (so who would notice?). I would give anything to turn back the clock and remember how much better life is when you're sober and not seek the instant relief that that first or second drink gives, but then turns into a hellacious monstrous dark hole of self hatred and isolation after that.

And even though you have been an inspiration to me and have helped me get two days back, you won't be letting me down, you will be hurting yourself, and as someone told me, I don't want my friends to hurt themselves. I want them to be well and thrive because they deserve it. And again, even though I've only been here two days, you've been my friend because you helped me get through demonic withdrawal. D's right, come talk to us. I used to have to sit on the phone for hours and hours when I first got sober just so I wouldn't walk out the door to the liquor store (I have one literally IN MY BUILDING!). I needed the safety of someone talking me off the alcoholic ledge. C'mon inside, it's much better than the precipice.