View Single Post
Old 05-16-2011, 12:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Bikerchick

Kids of Divorce

Originally Posted by MyBetterWorld View Post
One thing, and I know I am kind of switching gears here........but a while back when she came home from an afternoon with him, she started talking about how we should just get back together and why don't you (me) love daddy anymore...etc. It just seemed really....planted. He even said that it sounded to him like I should have a talk with her, that she was upset that he wasn't living with her anymore.
I've been a stepmom to three kids for awhile now and I can tell you that your daughter is at a prime age to start questioning the way things are and why they are that way. She loves both of you and probably sees the deterioration in her Dad since you two split up. I'm sure because you are a great mom and loved your husband, you probably propped him up and he looked a lot better to his kids because of it. Now, in her mind, she's probably thinking that she misses the image of the Dad she knew when you were together.

Even a seven-year-old can comprehend that someone has a sickness. When she starts asking specific questions, tell her the truth, in an age-appropriate way, but always, always allow her to know her Dad without any glossing over. She will figure out on her own as she gets older, that her Dad is sick. Covering that up will just make it "mysterious" for her as she gets older. With a mom like you to lean on, she will come to terms with it over time. She will probably be embarrassed, probably be mad at him, etc., when he does these things, but empower her to talk to him directly about it and let her confront him about it as she gets older. It will be very powerful coming from her. Hang in there.