Old 05-15-2011, 11:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
firewalkwithme
King of Fools

thanks.

i'll also chime in, to be completely honest, for the first (atleast) 2-3 weeks of sobriety, if not longer as that is being nice, you shouldn't really let yourself go out too much. i think for some, maybe even me, i beat that into myself big time and can't walk away from that mindset.

the first few weeks in sobriety are the toughest, and you can be your own worst enemy. i knew that after failing/slipping a few times. so this time around, i completely just cut everybody off for the better of my sobriety, not to mention 99% of the 'friends' i had do nothing but go out and party/drink and likely have problems themselves.

but the thing is, down the line, it can get hard to back away from that notion. here i am 11 months sober and i'm still weary sometimes of 'letting go' in a lot of ways. almost self-mothering in an odd way, fearing letting myself get out there with some wrong crowd type people. fear of rejection and being stubborn also play two big things. for one it is the idea of "you don't get where i'm coming from", or "you're going to laugh at it and joke around with it". I have insane amounts of people around me who kid and get sarcastic to run away from problems, and throw cheapshots at serious situations/dilemmas. I don't enjoy that with my sobriety. If you are sober yourself and want to joke around with me, that is okay to an extent. But I can't stand when people crack jokes about it.