Old 05-12-2011, 10:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Impurrfect

Welcome to SR!!!

Whether he relapses on the alcohol, or not, has nothing to do with you. I say that as a recovering addict, as well as a recovering codie (codependent) who has loved ones who are A's (addicts).

I could find ANY reason to use (my "thing" was crack) and honestly, I didn't much think about the pain I was causing my loved ones, until the high wore off. To deal with that, I used more. It was an endless cycle.

He's not in recovery, he's simply switched addictions.

This is HIS doing, and the only person you can control is you. Yes, it's hard as he!!, but life with an addict is something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

I also recommend you read the "stickies" (the posts at the top of this forum) as well as through some other posts. I learned a lot from the wise people here, when I first got here.

I'm also glad you went to your parents. As bad as it hurts, the more time away we are from them, the more clearer things get. FWIW, I spent over 25 years with three different A's. I thought my love with make things right. All it did was drive me into my own addiction, a really low bottom, and then I finally started working on myself.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy