Thread: Trial
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2011, 09:28 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
LaTeeDa

It sounds to me like he got a deferred entry of judgement. At least that's what it's called in CA, and it's quite common in first offense cases. What it means is that IF he can manage to stay out of trouble for six months AND complete the conditions agreed to, the charges will be dropped.

Sounds like a sweet deal to most people. What I have seen time and time again, is that for someone who made a mistake, truly regrets it, and desires to do better, it is a sweet deal. For someone who can't even stay sober and civil the night before he goes to court, chances are pretty slim he's going to stay out of trouble for six months. Especially since he probably thinks he got off scott free so he can resume doing whatever he wants. And when he re-offends, the original charges will be re-instated along with whatever new charges he manages to get. At that point, not such a sweet deal after all.

Anyway, none of this has to do with you and your new life. I hope you get the job and don't spend one more minute concerning yourself with his legal troubles. He will get justice eventually.

L