View Single Post
Old 05-12-2011, 06:42 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
dstat

Originally Posted by littlefish View Post
I hope this is not bordering on medical advice, it is more in the practical area: couldn't you take a Friday and a Monday off and do a weekend detox?
I am guessing that other people have the same job concerns as you and also need to address their alcoholism.
I thought about doing a detox over the easter extra-long weekend (here in .au we got a 5 day weekend at easter) but like I mentioned above, at my level of drinking/withdrawal I don't think 5 days is gonna cut it. I feel like I would need 5 days just to get past the dangerous withdrawal stage, and then possibly need a week or two of supervised treatment beyond that to help manage my PAWS symptoms. I think realistically I need about a month of stress-free time off work to deal with this.

I'll talk this over with my doctor next week. He seems sympathetic to my work situation, but he still thinks inpatient detox is the way to go and wants me to find a way to make it work. I hope I can think of a way to do this without destroying my reputation and career. A two week unpaid "holiday" is possible and nobody would ask any questions, but I would need to have cash reserves for that. There's nothing short-term I can do besides get my blood tests done and maybe get some naltrexone. Or doctor shop....