Old 05-09-2011, 05:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
sojourner

Welcome to SR. I agree with the others that this is a decision you have to make. However, if you stay (for a little bit, forever, or for the time being), i would suggest that you hide your assets. Now that you are married, the state considers your union with your husband to be a business partnership and, as such, your husband can go get loans without your signature and without your knowledge. And if he does not pay on those loans then the bank will call you to inform you of the loan and also start the legal process to get you to start re-paying. Your credit will be affected by that. He can now do a host of other things that you cannot make a police report on because business partners have rights to each others assets. When you were living with him outside of marriage for 3 years, he could have been charged with fraud, theft, etc., for the things that he now can do legally because you married him. If your husband does not know this now, he will very quickly find out. Addicts have a way of zeroing in on how they can get the assets they need for their drugs, and they would prefer to do it with no legal strings attached. So I am cautioning you to take a look at your finances, jewelry (including the things inherited from your grandma, etc), old coins, bank accounts, etc.

Again, welcome to SR. I hope you stay here for the continued strength for the journey you are on. Many of us have been where you are at and have lived to tell the tale!