View Single Post
Old 05-08-2011, 06:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Pelican
peaceful seabird

Welcome to the SR family!

Thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself.

Have you tried Alanon in your new community? I moved away from the home my children and I had known and found comfort/support with the local Alanon group. It helped to have phone numbers and familiar faces in a place where everyone was a stranger.

I have also been working on myself by reading self-improvement books. One of my favorites is Melody Beattie's book "Codependent No More". I also read the daily reading's of "Language of Letting Go" and Alanon readers to keep my focus on my personal recovery.

I applaud you for seperating your finances from your alcoholic. That gave me some peace of mind by knowing my earnings were not being used for his addiction.
I also had to look at ways that I was enabling his addiction other than financially. Things like reminding of important dates, appts; paying utilities, bills in a timely manner; grocery shopping; cooking; cleaning; laundry; free counseling; medical advice; shopping for toiletries; scheduling car repairs, etc........All of these things my A was capable of doing for himself, yet I was taking control of making sure they were handled. This enabled my A to live life on his terms and I made myself sick and tired from resentment.

Please make yourself at home by reading and posting as much as needed.

This is one of my favorite posts with steps to help while dealing with addiction:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...l-problem.html