View Single Post
Old 05-06-2011, 05:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
wanttobehealthy

I second StarCat's statement that you aren't alone... I too felt very alone and isolated for a long time bc I told no one and no one suspected (or so I thought) a thing.

When I began to talk to people (just my best friend and mom but the difference that made was huge) and accept that it was okay to admit that my H was an alcoholic and it wasn't a dirty secret I had to hide, it helped me feel infinitely LESS alone...

It does sound like your H needs help, but he's going to have to be the one to decide to get help and choose to help himself. I found and still struggle at times to fully accept this. It's so counter intuitive to accept that offering help, suggestions, tough love etc... is not useful for someone with alcoholism. They have to get to the 'I can't live like this anymore' point on their own.

The absolute best thing you can do is focus on you. Find things that bring you joy, go to therapy if you have access to it, go to al anon, spend time doing things you enjoy etc...

And again, like Starcat, I completely agree that you aren't responsible for his lies anymore than you are responsible for his drinking. His behaviors/actions are his. That's it.