View Single Post
Old 05-05-2011, 09:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Jeep08

Big day on Friday

I am very apprehensive today. My wife comes home from rehab tomorrow after 6 weeks away. I am very proud of how hard she has worked to get a good start on her recovery. We all miss her so much.

While she has been gone we have adjusted some of our routines and have found a new balance in our day to day activities. We want the sober her to be part of that but I still feel apprehension over the changes that will naturally happen now she is coming home. I am trying really hard not to set expectations but it is difficult. I am going to try to maintain as much of the schedule we have been on as possible. That gives the kids and I stability and independence and gives her freedom to schedule what she wants and when. It is hard to give space and detachment with love without setting barriers to support and caring. It’s going to be hard to find a balance and will take some practice.

Its been really hard with her away and looking after the three kids. On the other hand I have not had to worry about her drinking for 6 weeks. No sleepless nights wondering if she had been drinking. Some sleepless nights but those are not her fault.

I have read lots on the forum of all the Recovering Alcohlics the have failed or had slips. I am prepared for that possibility. It would also be good to hear of some successful recoveries.

This will be a very interesting and exciting weekend. We are planning a family dinner out for some sushi to celebrate her coming home.

I have my fingers crossed.