Old 05-04-2011, 03:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
DUNE

Searching for the right way to be taught the 12 steps

I recently relapsed several times and am now at day 3. In the one month of sobriety I did a lot of studying on the 12 steps. With my sponsor and a lot with recordings of Joe and Charlie. I was told that Joe and Charlie are an excelent source of information on doing the 12 steps.

I have learned more in the past month then i have in the past year. My sponsor never gives me his bias opinion or interpitation of what the steps are or are about. He references everything to the big book, and teaches every step the way it's laid out in the big book. Unfortunately I need to switch to a different sponsor.

My main question is how do you know if your sponsor is teaching you the steps the right way? I had one sponsor that didn't seem to know anything about teaching stepwork. Then this one that did everything right from the big book. I feel more inclined to say that the steps should be done straigt from the big book with no personal spins or exercises, eg. "Make a list of 10 things you are powerless over for step one"

Some people do not agree with me on this and say that there is no one way to do the 12 steps. The big book says that chapters 5-7 (steps 3-12) have "clear cut directions"

Whichever way you lean, I would greatly like to hear your opinion on how the 12 steps should be tought. Thank you.