View Single Post
Old 04-30-2011, 02:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
starshaped

I don't know if I have any good advice to offer, but I jsut wanted to let you know that I sympathize and experience a lot of the same issues with my mother (who is an alcoholic).

I used to confront my mom about her drinking very often. I live with her, so seeing her drunk day after day would just make me explode and confront her about it time after time, even though it got us nowhere. She would always respond with nasty remarks, targetting things that were "wrong" with me or blaming me for her problems. I eventually gave up. The only thing that resulted was that I got even angrier and more stressed out. She would somehow make me feel even worse about myself. Personally, I think if you don't feel confronting your mother will do any good, but only cause you more grief, don't even bother. It doesn't sound like she responded to you in a positive way before. At first, when I gave up confronting my mom, I felt guilty and as if I were just giving up on her. I know you might feel that way if you don't say anything to your mom about her problem. Try not to focus on those feelings, there's nothing you have to feel bad or wrong about. There is only so much you can do.
I also picture that wonderful, meaningful life for my mother, but I don't think confronting her about anything is going to make her change at all. If anything, she just drinks more afterwards because she gets so upset!

I hope things can work out for you and your mother though.