View Single Post
Old 04-25-2011, 07:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
JohnBarleycorn

What did you do?

susanlauren posed this question to me in another thread, which is now closed. I've debated whether or not to answer publicly, since I am not usually one to share, but I've decided to write this down.

"How did you recover John? What did you do?"
The answer to that question is not so much what I did, as it was an internal change in my own perception of my drinking. It was a long time coming, but my awakening to this new mindset was definitive when it did come, and I believe, instrumental.

I had been drinking daily for years, and it began to take a real toll on my mood and my personality. Alcohol began altering my core being, my way of looking at and relating to the world and to people.

I would drink, and bad things would happen. I would drink some more to forget the pain and guilt, and eventually, some more bad things would happen. I would say things to people that I would never, ever say when not under the influence. People that I cared about.

I am a fairly liberal person, not generally one to engage in absolutist moralizing, but I nevertheless had, before I started drinking to excess, a fascination with the philosophy of morality, such as in the writings of Nietzsche.

Somehow, it dawned on me one day, as I was writing down and going over all the "bad" things that I did, that there are certain acts which I will never commit, under any circumstances, because I consider them heinous and absolutely, unequivocally, wrong. Acts such as, for instance, raping a woman, hitting my mother, torturing animals, etc.

People don't usually ponder the morality of drinking these days, but as a result of this insight, I did just that. I pondered the question of whether or not the act itself of drinking alcohol was, for me, right or wrong, in the moral sense. I wondered where, on a scale of immorality, did my drinking rank? Low? High? Somewhere in the middle?

I could not be absolutely certain of what I would do once under the influence, and I had already commited acts under the influence for which I still grieved. I also knew, from countless experiences, that drinking even small amounts of alcohol would inevitably lead to more drinking, and eventually complete drunkenness, often to obscene levels.

I might have a keen sense of morality while sober, but how could I know, for sure, whether I would not commit some highly immoral act once under the influence, after alcohol disabled my moral judgement?

Since I could not predict what I might do once my moral judgement was disabled, I concluded that, for me, the act of drinking, was profoundly immoral conduct. I do not mean the consequences that might come from the drinking, since I could not predict those consequences with certainty, but the drinking, in and of itself.

I realized that to set myself loose upon my fellow human beings, upon society, in such a state, with my moral judgement disabled, would be a crime against humanity, a crime against society, and a crime against my family.

With this new mindset, I stopped worrying about or even caring about all the conventional wisdom, such as hidden causes of addiction, triggers, warning signs of relapse, meeting attendance, coping strategies, one day at a time, nobody can do it alone, most people won't make it, relapse is a part of recovery, post acute withdrawal, stages of recovery, pink clouds, etc.

ALL OF IT WENT RIGHT OUT THE WINDOW.

With this inner change in my thinking, I came to know the difference between right and wrong, as it pertained to my drinking, and I knew that I would never drink again.

For a while after quitting, I had cravings every so often, but I was able to instantly recognize them as completely foreign to me, as utterly repugnant, much as I would recognize the idea of microwaving a cat as foreign to me, and the cravings would quickly fade.

In a short time, I stopped obsessing over how awful it would be to never drink again, or over when the next time I might get to explode into drunkenness would be. Not drinking alcohol just became part of who I am as a person.

FrothyJay posted this once in the 12-Step forum. He may have had something else in mind when he wrote this, but the end result that he describes nevertheless sounds very similar to what I experienced.

Originally Posted by FrothyJay View Post
....I had embarked on something special, and the idea of getting sick again was completely unattractive to me. This is going to sound odd, but here it is: It mattered that I would know I got drunk.

My first step took on razor sharp focus. I suddenly felt that I knew the difference between right and wrong, and true and false, as it related to my alcoholism. I was restored to some degree of sanity.