View Single Post
Old 04-23-2011, 04:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Zini

Hey Angelus. First off, congratulations on getting sober. The early days are quite delicate - I should know, as I am still navigating them myself. When it comes to your friend, it doesn't sound like he was doing anything deliberately malicious, but rather trying to protect you and your sobriety, which is quite admirable. So many people have to deal with unsupportive friends, or people who don't necessarily take our sobriety seriously, who say, "come on, ONE drink won't hurt!"
So the fact that he is trying to respect your decision is a great sign. It's also hard for him to know how to navigate these early days. I don't think he chose the alcohol over you - he probably just fancied a drink, and thought not to call you so as not to put you in temptation's way. I would suggest calling him up, taking him out for coffee and having an honest conversation with him about everything you're going through right now. Figure out other things you can do together that don't involve going to bars and drinking.
Your hurt over this is perfectly understandable, but it's also the alcoholic mindset speaking: oh god, i will be left out from hereon in, I am not a priority for my friends. The truth is, you are the one in control right now, and the one who has made the decision to get clean for yourself, and you should be very proud of that. Involve the people closest to you in your sobriety by explaining things to them, by communicating openly and honestly.
In time, when you are more sure of your sobriety, you may very well be able to go out with your friend and have a seltzer in a bar while he has a couple of beers. But right now, it is your choice to avoid drinkers and drinking situations, and it is a wise one. And he sounds like he was just trying to support you in that. If you look at it that way, it becomes a much more positive, loving situation, and it is entirely workable. When we feel we have no choice, that things are merely foisted upon us, we feel powerless and hurt. But when we remember that we DO have a choice and are actively making it in terms of how to react to situations, the feeling is reversed and turns into one of power.
Hugs,
Z.