View Single Post
Old 04-23-2011, 02:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Angelus1775

Battling this Addiction

Still new here. Went to an AA meeting tonight and it was great. The topic was early sobriety and many of the people at the meeting had some really great things to say. Afterwards, I went out for coffee with some members of the group and it was a really great time. However, when I got home, I noticed that my best friend was in town. I had no idea he was coming. He had gone out to some bars in town. This hurt deeply. I did not understand why he would not have told me that he was going to be here. However, I remembered a conversation that we had a few weeks ago. He told me that he feels guilty when he is drinking because I am getting sober. I told him not to worry about it. Yet, it seems that he would rather go out and drink rather than see me. It makes me feel that although sobriety has brought positive things into my life, it has also had negative consequences. Has anyone else lost friends over sobriety? Anyone have any tips on how to handle this? My sobriety is still very new and this is the first time this situation has cropped up. I have avoided people that drink a lot to keep my sobriey. However, this is the first time that it appears someone has avoided me. The thing that is confusing is that he is not an alcoholic, so I do not understand why it would bother him. My sobriety is still very new, so I am trying my best to handle things with the highest level of maturity as possible.